What insurance do I need for Europe?

Posted on Thu 16 June 2022 in Travel

If you are travelling for work or on business in Europe you will need to add business cover to your standard travel insurance policy. This is straightforward and ensures you have extra cover for things such as any business equipment or company money – which wouldn't be covered on a standard travel policy.

Do UK citizens get free healthcare in Europe?

Apply for a GHIC A GHIC lets you get medically necessary state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. If your EHIC is still in date, you do not need to apply for a new GHIC . They're both valid if you're travelling to an EU country or, if you're eligible, in Switzerland.

Do I need medical travel insurance in UK?

The government always advises visitors to the UK to take out travel or health insurance. This means that you can reclaim any healthcare costs you are required to pay from your insurer. Check your insurance has the necessary healthcare coverage to make sure you can get the treatment you need during your visit.

Do I need travel insurance for Europe after Brexit?

As long as you have your EHIC/GHIC, you'll still be able to access free or subsidised healthcare for countries in the EU after Brexit. The UK government still recommends you take out a travel insurance policy when going abroad to Europe, as you would anywhere else in the world.

Does NHS cover me in Europe?

How the NHS can fund your treatment. You may be able to access NHS-funded healthcare in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland if you fulfil certain eligibility criteria. The criteria vary depending on the access route. There are 2 possible routes.

What happens if you get sick in Europe?

In most countries, you can call 112, the European Union's universal emergency number for ambulance, fire department or police. Most countries also have a 911 equivalent that works as well. Or you can ask a hotelier, restaurant host, or whoever's around to call an ambulance or taxi for you.

What happens if I don't have my EHIC card?

If you need treatment while you're away and don't have your card, you or someone on your behalf should apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC). This will give you the same cover as an EHIC until you return home. To apply, call the Overseas Healthcare Team on 00 44 191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday, 8am–5pm).

What happens if you don't have travel insurance?

If you don't have travel insurance you will have to pay out of your own pocket to deal with a problem while you're away. Or you may lose money if you have to cancel a trip and can't get your money back.